I recently had the opportunity to ask the lovely Josie Maran a few questions about her brand and also about balancing life and work as a working mom of two. Maran has been the face over Covergirl for years, and in 2007 launched the very popular Josie Maran Cosmetics- her own natural product line. Josie has a 6-year old daughter, Rumi Joon, and gave birth this summer to another beautiful daughter, Indi Joon. My own family is about to grow from three to four so I was interested in hearing how Josie finds time to be a fabulous mom and hardworking CEO.
1. Your brand promotes social and environmental responsibility. What inspired you to have this as a focus behind Josie Maran Cosmetics?
My family raised me to be super-conscious of the environment, so I’ve always paid attention to the impact I have on the earth. When I was a model, I was always asking if there was a healthier alternative to toxic cosmetics. Then, when I was pregnant with my first daughter, I started considering how she’d be affected by what I put on my skin, and what kind of role model I wanted to be. So I started my own natural line of cosmetics to spread beauty and joy and health. I want my daughters to see me as a person who brings happiness and light to people's lives—as someone who strives for change, and tries to be better by doing better.
2. What advice do you have for mothers like you who are trying to balance work and family life?
Build a community and lean on them when you need to. Even superwomen need support and love.
3. I am expecting my second child. What products do you consider essential for mommies-to-be?
My must-haves are a comfy sling for baby, a breast pumping bra to keep you hands-free, my 100% Pure Argan Oil for head to toe moisture for mom and baby, easy flowing dresses, and slip-on ballet flats. Also, I never leave home without my Argan Bear Naked Wipes. They’re biodegradable and they’re perfect for cleaning little faces and hands.
4. Working moms are often rushing to get ready in the mornings. What three products from Josie Maran Cosmetics do you suggest to get them out the door looking fabulous and quickly?
1. I swear by my 100% Pure Argan Oil! It’s the ultimate multi-tasker. I use it as a daily moisturizer all over my face and body, to heal rough cuticles, fix split ends, and about a zillion other things. If you’re going to do one thing for yourself, moisturize your skin with Argan Oil! Healthy skin is beautiful skin.
2. To give a little lift to your face, apply my Argan Color Stick to cheeks and blend with your fingertips. It takes two seconds and instantly makes you look glowy and flushed.
2. Mascara is one of my beauty staples—it instantly adds drama to any look and brings focus to the eyes. My favorite eye product is my GOGO Instant Volume ArganMascara because it adds volume to my lashes and makes me look more awake. Plus, it gives back to a great cause—City of
Thanks so much to Josie for the interview! Be sure to check out the full range of Josie Maran Cosmetics available at Sephora, QVC, and JosieMaranCosmetics.com.